Like any other printer, your canon printer can also have hard days. When you purchase a new printer, it delivers good results and works smoothly. But, as time passes by, it may give you the worst experience. Sometimes, it may display specific error messages that are enough to trouble you in your work, and other times it may undergo some technical difficulty.
One of the commonly experienced problems by users is the “Canon printer offline” error messages. This means you cannot continue your printing task further. Although there are several reasons behind it one of the most common reasons is that your printer and the device from which you are giving commands to it are unable to establish a connection. If you have arrived here, it means you are also undergoing the same situation. So, here in this article, we will discuss a few important workarounds that might help you in getting ahead of this error. But, before that, we will learn what caused this error to show up on your device.
Why does my canon printer say offline?
You might be coming across this error even if the two devices are connected properly. This troubles you even more because you do not know what to do next. But, the first thing you should do is, find out the reason behind the canon printer offline error message.
- There is a problem with the canon printer driver
- In case of wireless printers, it might not be receiving the proper internet connectivity
- The printer spooler might have restricted the task
- The printer drivers are outdated
- There is a fault with cables and cords
How to change printer from offline to online canon?
In case you are using a wireless canon printer such as canon mx920, canon mx490, canon mx922, canon mg2900, or canon mg3600, then you may follow the steps given below.
Reconnect your canon printer to Wi-Fi
To fix the wireless printer connectivity issues, this is the first thing you should try. Although these steps might slightly vary for different printer models, you can still try it:
- Go to the Settings of the printer.
- Now, ‘Forget’ the connection of the router.
- Then, reconnect it to a Wi-Fi network.
- For this, you need to press and hold the Wi-Fi button.
- You need to do it until the light starts to blink.
- Now, press the WPS button.
- Make sure it is blinking blue continuously. This means it is searching for the available networks.
- When it finds and sets to a network, it will stop blinking but will remain steady.
Now, try to print from your Canon printer and see if it works.
Canon printer offline fix on Windows 10
To fix printer offline error in Windows 10, you can follow the steps given below:
Disable “Use Printer Offline”
This is the next thing you can try on your printer to get rid of the issue. In case this workaround does not seem to help, then you change the settings you have made.
- From your Windows device, click on the Start button.
- After this, open the Control Panel of your device.
- Now, go to the Hardware and Sound section and click on it to expand its functions.
- In the window that opens, click on the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- Now, look for the model name of your canon printer.
- After this, select the option reading as ‘See what’s printing’.
- Now, click on the Printer option available at the top left corner of the window.
- Uncheck the option reading as ‘Use printer offline’.
- Now, select ‘Cancel all documents’.
- In the end, try to print again.
Canon printer is offline mac- fix now
Restore the printer connectivity
- First of all, you need to turn off the printer. To do so, press the power button and wait for 5 seconds.
- After this, remove the USB cable.
- Now, connect it back to the printer.
- Further, turn on the printer again
- Switch off the printer by pressing on its power button, and then wait for 5 seconds.
- If there are print jobs stuck in the queue, then it might resume printing those documents.
- Wait for it to finish and resume your new printing task again.
In case these steps don’t work, then you might need to make sure that the name of your printer is appearing in the installed printer lists or not. If it is not, then you have to reinstall the canon printer drivers on your mac once again. If no workaround works right for you, it is better to take canon printer support.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my Canon printer back online?
To get your canon printer back online, the first thing you need to do is check whether the fault lies with the cords, or the printer, or the printer drivers. Once you know the cause, you can fix the printer offline issue easily. In the case of a wireless printer, you can ‘Forget’ the Wi-Fi connection and then connect it again using the Wi-Fi and WPS buttons. Also, check if the name of your printer is appearing on the list of installed printers or not. In case it is not there, you might need to reinstall the printer drivers.
How do you change the status of a printer from offline to online?
For bringing back your printer from offline to online, you need to uncheck the “Use printer offline” option. If it is checked, then your printer might always show offline error messages. For this, you need to locate your printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ section. After this, you need to right-click on it to open a list of options. Here, you have to uncheck the box present next to ‘Use printer offline’.
Why is my wireless printer showing as offline?
The first reason why your wireless canon printer is showing the offline status is that there is a problem with the router and it is not giving proper internet connectivity. On the other hand, sometimes the printer spooler might also not letting you print. Other than this, there might be a fault with the cables and cords that are connecting your printer and the computer in case of a wired printer.